A small update once again, before I start studying to an exam.

I guess people already had noticed that block placement and removal caused a slight spike in framerate. This is the result of the recalculation of a mesh of a chunk being done synchronously in the main thread. It takes around 50ms or up to 200ms when the lighting changes in a long distance, which is quite noticeable especially when others are placing and removing blocks.

Well, I noticed that, in the past few days, I had completely created the framework for doing that in a separate thread. And went on to make it so. Now building with lots of people causes no spikes in framerate at all!

Also, one thing that had bugged me for a long time is that the server sent all block placements and removals in the whole world to every player, no matter how far away from each other they were. I changed those to be sent only to players that are reasonably close (100 nodes). For the others, the server just marks the changed part of the world as “unsent” and it will be re-sent when needed.

In addition to that, I changed the versioning scheme to such that the version is now 0.2.20110406_0. I will stick to this scheme from now on.

Download Section

9 Responses to “0.2.20110406_0”

  1. metouto Says:

    good luck on that exam celeron55 :o)

  2. metouto Says:

    I see someone updated the wiki page looks gooooood to me :o)

  3. Milkboat Says:

    Not sure if anyone else has this issue, but blocks don’t seem to render unless I am hitting them. I’m assuming it’s my drivers, as it’s the only thing I have updated since playing before your break.

    Driver: Catalyst 11.4
    OS: Windows 7 32bit Pro
    Video: HD 4870

  4. celeron55 Says:

    Apparently the above problem was due to the preview version video drivers.
    Adding this to the configuration file fixed the problem:
    video_driver = direct3d9

  5. Zylann Says:

    I discovered Minetest a few months ago, and I’m happy to see that this project is progressing ! I had the same idea (make a voxel-game with Irrlicht), but you already started, and compared to other MC-like games, Minetest is a good one. I’ll probably make a donation, and if you want some help for graphics/sound design/new features, I give you my email adress (despite the fact I’m french^^).
    Good luck !

  6. celeron55 Says:

    Zylann: Thanks!

  7. Fishkilleur Says:

    Don’t compil on Ubuntu 32 bits :( (10.10 and 11.04 beta 1)


  8. Fishkilleur Says:

    The log files :


  9. celeron55 Says:

    Fishkilleur’s problem was fixed by installing libgl1-mesa-dev. I added it to the instructions of the download page and updated the README.txt.

Leave a Reply